The Yin and Yang of wine consumption

[ed. tBoW webmeister Dr. Dionysus practices Chinese Medicine in his “pro” life. He shares some wisdom concerning balance in life and wine drinking.]
In the practice of Chinese Medicine the topic of lifestyle choices and their impact on health comes up on a regular basis.
Our lives can be shortened and otherwise undermined by choices such as a sedentary lifestyle, smoking cigarettes, and of course drinking. Healthy choices include the obvious ones such as exercising, quitting or not smoking and not drinking. However, a balanced lifestyle also recognizes that enjoying life also contributes to a longer and happier life.
That’s why I use the 80/20 rule. If you really want to prevent disease, live a long healthy life, etc., simply do the right thing 80% of the time, and the remaining 20% go ahead and drink wine. I still think you should get off your butt and put out the other butts, but enjoying life and drinking wine have both been shown to interact well, so 20% seems like a reasonable apportion. As long as you balance with the 80%. (more…)